thefaultinourblogs

The Fault in Our Blogs

Book reviews, recommendations, and other bookish things.

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line - Jennifer Graham, Rob Thomas original source: http://thefaultinourblogs.blogspot.com

I just started and finished watching the TV series of VMars over the past two months. Then I watched the movie follow-up, and the next day I rushed out to get this book.

One word to describe Veronica's transition to the printed page: clumsy. I just couldn't get my mind around the writing style. It was full of fluff, but fluff containing huge cliche metaphors and descriptions. At times I felt like the authors were describing a complex series of camera shots and not writing a book. That being said, the dialogue was the strong point of this one. However, the book was written in third person, which creates an extra voice in the story. Juggling the dialogue, internal monologue, and actions was very confusing and had me flipping back pages trying to sort out what was happening. Veronica's character was a little bit lost in her transition to print, but the dialogue was definitely trying to poke through that fog. Structurally, the plot was basically consistent with an episode of the tv series. The kind of know-who-did-it-3/4-the-way-through mystery.

I felt like the appearances by Logan and Weevil were just put in to appease the fans. They did little to progress the plot and the book could have gone without it. I was still waiting at the end for the Veronica's Personal Life problem to appear, but nothing on the level I expected ever came up. God damn it though, I wanted to like this book so much. I'm still going to buy the sequel, in hope of it being better, or different. [Edit: IT WAS!]