thefaultinourblogs

The Fault in Our Blogs

Book reviews, recommendations, and other bookish things.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay Alright, I am a huge fan of the show. HUGE fan. I've watched all eight seasons and I'm still aching for more, so I picked up the first novel in the series that the Showtime television series "Dexter" derived from. As with any book read after the movie or television adaptation, I kept picturing the actors from the show as Lindsay's characters. Of course, they're all fantastic, but I'm of the firm belief that every actor is interpreting and adapting the characters they play from the source, and I wanted to create my own interpretation, which I was not able to do because the show is so well done. (Not the worst complaint ever.)

As for Dexter though, I found Lindsay's innovation riveting. Dexter himself is so complex that even an award-worthy performance by Michael C Hall cannot contain all of him. That being said, I did enjoy the book, probably for that reason alone. A lot of the suspense I was looking for was taken away by my already knowing the ending. I WILL pick up the second one at some point, but I'm not in a hurry to do so because I already know what happens.